Our part-time IT director helped this charity to expand and increase fundraising channels through a variety of technical avenues.
A mid-size charity whose purpose was to save lives by helping people find the right organ donors. The charity received significant grants from the EU but post-Brexit the grants were massively reduced, so it was looking for other ways to fund itself and use data to find new revenue streams and a new supporter base.
The mission was to become self-sufficient in terms of funding, increase fundraising channels, and drive massive growth in supporter base and revenue through individual giving propositions and improve the use of the CRM system to increase revenue from existing customers.
- Optimise marketing spending through analytics and modelling
- Suggest improvements in the CRM systems and processes to improve revenue from existing supporters
- Look at trends in data to suggest new target markets, distribution channels and propositions
What the Director Did
Delivered Market and Opportunity Sizing
The IT Director understood the current proposition of the charity, analysed its data and developed a ‘lookalike model’ which overlaid the demographics and attitudes of the current supporter base to the overall UK population to find the core target market for the charity. This gave the charity a much clearer estimate of the size and opportunity in the market and the core target audience and its current market share.
Delivered a Market Segmentation and Targeting Model
After determining the market size, the Director then conducted a detailed behavioural and attitudinal analysis to segment the market into distinct personas. They identified six distinct, sizeable segments that showed interest in specific propositions and engaged differently with the charity. The Director created a targeting model, which the marketing team then executed through the marketing channels and the CRM system.
Increasing Revenue from Existing Customers Through the CRM system
The Directot audited the capabilities of the existing CRM system and, more importantly, evaluated its usage. Then, they provided various recommendations, including using predictive models for supporter communication and suggesting new supporter journeys. Finally, the Director proposed new CRM KPIs and deployed real-time reporting and dashboards in the CRM system.
A Suite of Predictive Models
Lastly, the Director developed a suite of predictive models to enhance performance across all levels. They created acquisition modelling to communicate with the right new consumer, and designed Lifetime Value modelling to prolong the donor lifecycle and increase revenue from existing donors. Finally, the Director also formulated churn modelling to communicate timely and appropriately with supporters likely to stop donating.
- ROI of marketing communications improve by 3:1 from 0.8:1 after the deployment of predictive models
- Donor Revenue and volumes went up by 40% over 12 months
- Lifetime value revenue of donors also went up due to the new CRM roadmap A
- New CRM domain expert was recruited
- Real-time reporting became ingrained in the culture and decisions were taken on the right KPIs
- New distribution channels like partnerships with digital vendors with one-tap donations were initiated as a result of the insights from the segmentation